St Mary of Mavana
The Church of St Mary of Mavana was established in 1850.It is located 32 Km. away from the western part of the Urmia city.
Its dimensions are 20 meters long and 11 meters wide. Has the capacity for 200 parishioners.
The building materials are mainly composed of limestone one meter thick. From it’s plinths up to the arched ceiling, is covered with beautiful square bricks. The Alter is two steps high above the main floor. The southern and northern walls are arch-shaped with 30 centimetres deep giving a special effect to the interior design.
Originally, the designer had designed three windows at the right side of the church high above the plinths, and three windows on top of the arched ceiling, which were later blocked after renovations.
A campaign to collect donations in 1978 was conducted by scattered parishioners around the country to renovate the Church of St Mary of Mavana and was finally blessed during a celebratory ceremony by His Holiness Archbishop of Tehran Youhannan Issayi, His Holiness Archbishop of Urmia Shmoel Shoriz and His Holiness Patriarch of Eastern Church Mar Dinkha, among them local priests, deacons and a large crowd, gathered from all around the country.